Wednesday, November 15, 2006

 

So When Will I Get Around To Dissing The New Democratic Leadership?



Not yet.

In all seriousness, a good many people are asking good and important questions. (Instapundit links to a lot of them. For example, what's the connection between Sen. Harry Reid and Jack Abramoff? Is Rep. Pelosi's selection of Alcee Hastings to chair the House Intelligence Committee really a smart move? What about Rep. Jack Murtha for House Majority Leader? And much more; keep scrolling.)

Frankly, none of that concerns me much right now. I prefer to wait and see. It's true that I don't trust Rep. Pelosi much, nor Rep. Murtha, nor many of their fellow victorious Democrats. But what matters most is what they do, not what their reputations imply that they will do (and certainly not what I think they'll do).

It's perfectly possible for a politician to gain high office and surprise the daylights out of everybody. I've seen it happen before. And the new Democratic leadership of the House and Senate may be better for the country than we expected of them.

Or not, as the case may be. But let's give them a good, serious chance.

(I might add that others are asking why Republicans are behaving so stupidly -- reinstating Trent Lott as Senate Minority Whip, the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld and putting Gates in his place, and so on. My response there is the same -- let's wait and see.)

Labels: ,


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Blogs that link here Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com