Wednesday, November 01, 2006

 

Project Valour IT


A number of people have called this to my attention, and I thought it was time to put my money where my mouth is.

So I've made a contribution to Valour-IT, a project that purchases and distributes voice-activated laptops to wounded servicemen. (This is one of several charitable projects run by Soldier's Angels, who work tirelessly in their mission: "may no soldier go unloved".)

I can only imagine how incredibly frustrating it must be, for a wounded warrior to not have use of his or her hands -- to not be able to send an e-mail, or catch up on Internet news. And I can only imagine how rewarding it must be to be in that situation and receive a laptop, fully equipped for voice control, that solves some of these problems.

Let me stress that, when it comes to supporting the troops, this is as non-political as it gets. You don't need to be a supporter of the War on Terror to want to help a wounded soldier. And, in the end, it doesn't matter if a member of the U.S. military was injured by an Iraqi IED, or an Afghan terror raid, or even a training accident; they volunteered to protect us, right or wrong, and they deserve our support.

You can see the status of donations, or make a donation of your own, at the top of my sidebar on the left. Donations can be made in the name of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marines -- although the division is just for purposes of friendly competition, in order to raise more money.

Perhaps I should have made my donation in the name of the U.S. Navy; as of now, they have the fewest blogs promoting them and the lowest amount of money so far. I'd also have the benefit of working with my blogfather Smash.

But what can I say? I'm an old Army guy.

Labels: ,


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Blogs that link here Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com