Thursday, June 30, 2005

 

The London Times interviews President Bush


As Glenn Reynolds (to whom a hat tip is due) comments, this paragraph seems to catch everyone's eye first:
In person Mr Bush is so far removed from the caricature of the dim, war-mongering Texas cowboy of global popular repute that it shakes one’s faith in the reliability of the modern media.
Indeed. It might be useful to remember that in your future reporting, Mssrs. Baker and Watson.

But there's plenty more in this interview (along with some expected snide snarkiness nonetheless). I found the "human touches" rather interesting:
I am under firm instructions from my wife to pick up a souvenir of the trip and so I ask him if he would mind signing a picture of my daughters posed beside a cutout of Mr Bush himself.

“Oh, we can do better than that,” he says. He reaches into the drawer of the
Resolute desk and diligently begins writing out greetings on presidential cards. I find myself in the faintly exhilarating position of dictating terms to the President of the United States; admittedly, only the names of each of my five children, but for a moment, it’s heady stuff.


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Blogs that link here Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com