Monday, February 05, 2007

 

Molly Ivins, 1944 - 2007: RIP


I only just found out that Molly Ivins passed away, almost a week ago. Wow -- it feels like the end of an era.

My personal feelings about her could be described as "warm but ambivalent". I never met her, nor did I ever correspond with her; I do own a few of her books. In fact, it is instructive to track my evolution, from the liberal side to the conservative side of American politics, in terms of how highly I thought of Ms. Ivins when I first started reading her stuff, back in 1999 or so.

There's not a lot that she's written lately that I'd agree with; some of her writing, over the past few years, I've found to be pretty painful to read. And yet -- she had that touch. Her writing was warm, friendly, inviting; I sometimes found myself chuckling over her dry wit, while simultaneously shaking my head and wondering how she could possibly believe what she was saying.

I'm sorry she's gone. Godspeed, Molly.

Labels: , ,


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Blogs that link here Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com